Frequently asked questions

Q: Is there going to be a mess?
A: No. We lay cloth tarps on all carpeted and wood floor areas.
Our technicians also carry plastic booties or will remove their shoes upon request.

Q: How long will your service take?
A: The cleaning, inspection and condition report takes about 60 to 90 mins.

Q: How Often Should I Have My Chimney Cleaned?
A: It depends on the age of your home, the condition of your chimney, and the weather (mild winters cause more problems than cold ones!). 
 Generally, if you use wood, it's good to have the chimney cleaned at least every 6-12 months 
(more often if you burn two or more cords of wood, or if you burn green wood). 

Q: Why Does A Stove Insert Cost More?
A: Because the insert must be removed from the firebox to clean the system properly.
They require the use of a lift or a mechanical device to remove them.

Q: Is there a service call fee?
A: We have a service call fee that will go towards any job, including sweeping to complete R&R of fireplace.


Q: Do you offer discounts?
A: We can discount sales and services on a case by case basis. For example if there are multiple 

fireplaces in one home, or if your neighbor is wanting service the same day as you.

Q: Should I Be Concerned About Carbon Monoxide Poisoning?
A: Carbon monoxide is especially dangerous because it is not easily detected. The symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are often mistaken for common illnesses such as headaches, nausea and fatigue.
Carbon monoxide detectors are available and no home should be without them. Detectors are NOT a substitute for routine maintenance, but can be a lifesaver should problems occur. Carbon monoxide problems are always caused by poor ventilation and blocked chimneys are one of the largest single causes of carbon monoxide in the home. Without proper maintenance, heating systems can be dangerous because they can cause fires or release toxic gases into your living area that cause 
serious damage, illness, or even death. Poor ventilation is the cause, so it's critical to have a clean chimney.  When there is build up in your chimney, it must be removed by a chimney professional.


Q: What causes chimney fires?
A: Chimney fires are usually caused by the accumulation of creosote in the chimney. Creosote is a
natural by-product of burning wood. It accumulates in the flue over time and is highly flammable
Creosote is especially likely to accumulate when wood is not burned at the proper temperature. Since 
creosote is flammable, when it accumulates on the walls of your flue, hot flue gasses can ignite it. The 
result is a chimney fire. Depending on the condition of your chimney, such a fire can pose a significant 
threat to the rest of your house. Flames from the fire can find their way through cracks in your clay.